Keep in mind though, that because these answers and "guides" are based on what's found in the Test Realm, do not expect them to stay true when the updates move to the Live realms.
So, today was my lucky day....Pet Test Realm comes out...New Arena pets are available, I was overjoyed. As I entered the Test Realm's Pet Hatchery for the second time, I noticed the familiar toon that entered the door at the same time as me...and a brush of the words "Ian" and "Emerald." Upon entering, I had to shout out his name, and there was our second meeting! (you can watch this on the post below, with the Livestream video).
Ian was generous enough to spend about 40-45 minutes answering my questions here and there, and now I present to you with what I have learned:
- Pets are meant to act randomly in battle.
- When I asked him why this wouldn't be considered a negative trait to have, especially for PVP (in which many players, including me, emphasize the importance of skill over luck), and if this randomness was more of a burden than a gift (a pet popping your Feint or class-biased Trap), his (brilliant) answer was this: "It's similar to real life, where pets can be a hassle, like dogs barking at anyone, etc. But we still take care of them."
- Thus, our game and playstyles in Wizard101 will not only change, but will move into a different dimension.
- You may be happy or unhappy with the changes going on, but it has all been considered as an issue of balance.
- Keep in mind, we haven't seen everything just yet. There is Celestia to be released; imagine the frustration or joy we'll feel from those...it might offset, increase, or decrease our satisfaction towards these updates. Also, it's only been one day of the Test Realm...there's that awesome Bug Report function at the top right of the screen, where we can submit our feedback through:
- We know KingsIsle is a great listener as a Company...heck, believe it or not, Ian had to AFK a few times to get some of my questions answered from other developers!
- If there are changes needed to be made based on a universal agreement between players, KI will get to it...but remember to keep in mind about my blog "KingsIsle's Smart Move." There will be very rational reasons to why the Company will or will not follow our wishes. We don't know everything they're doing, but we'll find out eventually, as always.
- UPDATED (4/30/10)
The longer you have had your pet in your possession, whether it's on a main, an alternate, or in the (Shared) Bank, the stronger potential it will have, when updates arrive to the Live Realm.
- I checked into my two Pixie pets from Smogger, and sure enough, the one I received first has an additional innate ability (can cast a Life damage spell). Both were actively equipped on two of my alternates.
- The Blue Cyclops we receive from Penny, for me and David Titanrider, were still Babies. I speculate that if we raised them to Adult, then compared them to an Adult Blue Cyclops that was obtained tomorrow, David's and mine will outdo the new one (going back to the difference between Pixies above)
Now, here's a simple visual guide I created...I don't know about anyone else, but I was extremely distracted by the debut of this Test Realm so I never really got to absorbing the textual information provided by the numerous new icons about Pet Stats and how they affect our wizards and the Derby. Hopefully this will ease the overwhelming overload of words:
I didn't include "Power" because the description was very vague... "Some statistics" But it increases your Morale's limit!
Happy Hunting (for a mate...)!